Tonight me and my gringo went to my beloved Nana's sister's funeral. My great-great aunt, I believe. She too, had dementia, was 90, and an awesome lady to boot. They were so close that I knew they would go close together.
Rick has yet to really meet this other, more distant side of my family. Nothing personal, we all have just gone in separate directions. But for something like a family funeral, we all converge. A lot of my family originated in a scary little town nearby that is known for their gang-bangers and drive-by's. It is what it is. My Nana and fam lived there 90 years ago when it wasn't that way, and like many stubborn older people, my aunt refused to leave. So her funeral was there, of course. Hence my blog title. A chance to get back to my gangsta' roots. Just kidding!
We were misinformed of the time, and arrived at the mortuary an hour early. We decided to kill some time and eat at a popular burrito place nearby. Right in front of my parking space was a sign that I thought was hilarious. I don't think I've come across one before that includes "bodily injury". I wonder how many people had to get jumped before the sign went up. We were fine though.

And then during the memorial service, the priest (or pastor) read tons of scripture. And just by coincidence he kept referring to a certain character from the bible, which had been a name Rick and I had been considering for our new boy. But I never kept up on bible study and if I had, maybe I would've known that the guy killed his brother. Yikes, we can scratch that name off the list!
Here's a pic of my 23-week belly (and ass!!!!)- and my kid wanted his picture taken too. I am so gigantic that he looks like a pip squeak! The bottom of the dress looks funky and makes my belly look way longer at that angle. At least I hope it's just the angle.
***I will add all you guys that want in. I just need e-mail addresses! If you haven't already given me them, you can email them to me here: rubyredruca at yahoo dot com. Thanks!***

That sign is AWESOME!!!!!
ReplyDeletelmao at the cursive name necklace. My hubby's ex-wife still wear's hers and wanted to buy one for their daughter last year. After picking our jaws off the floor, we convinced her it was not safe for her to wear her name for predators to read. *wink, wink*
ReplyDeleteAnd you look fantastic!!! Love the belly.
Yay! I'm an official reader. LOL
ReplyDeleteAaaw look at you all knocked up!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the add. I swear I'm not going to be such a total lurker.