Friday, February 13, 2009

A visit to the teeth doctor


Today was Seamus' first ever dentist appointment. He's 2 1/2 and has had all his teeth for over a year. I wish now that I had taken him sooner though. I let Rick take him by himself, I figured me and my big belly would be in the way and I wasn't sure if they take x-rays at their first visit. I gave him specific instructions not to let them do anything weird to his teeth. Just a cleaning.
As I'm shopping in the newborn baby clothes section of Target, Rick calls me and tells me my little boy has TWO cavities!!! TWO!!! WTF!!!! He said it's because he has milk at night, my kid's one vice. We brush his teeth at night, but most nights he asks for milk in the middle of the night and we oblige him so we can get more sleep. Now I just want to shoot myself! Me, being totally hormonal and pregnant is on the verge of tears in Target and run into my mom there who has to console me! Seamus now has an appointment in two weeks to get them fixed. He was a big boy who was so intrigued by this whole new experience and was no problem at all, so the dentist thinks he'll be fine. But if for some reason he isn't, they may have to sedate him!!!! My little baby! And it costs $800 if that needs to be done! This is all too much for me. I'm flipping out on the inside, but trying to remain composed on the outside. I have never had one cavity in my life, and just assumed my kids wouldn't either. Now I'm dealing with something so new to me and he just seems so young! We brush his teeth every night and he loves to do it. So it's not like we've been lazy parents, but now he has to kick the milk habit cold turkey. The cavities are in a very early stage too, so I guess there is a silver lining...but I would much rather I have to be dealing with the cavities and not my little buddy. Ironically, just last night we took pictures of him brushing his teeth, and his "baby's" (the penguin's) teeth.

2 comments:

  1. He won't need to be sedated. Char had her first filling at that age and they just use a topical number and then go for the needle. She never even cried. She's had 5 fillings! She brushes every morning and night too, she just has bad teeth! The milk has sugar in it, so it sits on his teeth all night and slowly rots them. Just give him water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dentist said it is just luck of the draw. Jill never even had a bottle EVER and she brushes her teeth like she should, and she always had cavaties...just like me. The did tell us to make sure we drank lots of tap water. As soon as we switched to tap water, we all stopped getting cavaties...

    ReplyDelete