Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Sigh of Relief

This month, Rick and I will be celebrating five years of unwedded bliss. Well, not all of it. Regardless. The original wedding plans seemed so cheap and were going to take up so much time. So we've changed them all. Every last one of them. I explained to Rick that if we were going to run off to Vegas, we should have years ago. Now, with five years together, it seems like our relationship deserved to be celebrated better than that. I felt it was owed that. We were trying to go on the extreme cheap, which was going to be so incredibly stressful for me. I knew the lack of help I had coming, and just couldn't handle it. So I demanded a change. If Rick can put so much money into his cars and other things, then we shouldn't be cheap just to counter-act that. I'm not saying going all out, but atleast do what we really want. (Or what I really want.) So change of venue, change of reception, and it seems to kind of being falling into place. The actual date has been moved back five days as well. We will have the ceremony at the same chapel that my Nana worked at for over twenty-five years and where Rick's parents got married fourty years. (Two lucky parts of this is that we actually wanted to get married on the thirteenth originally, and the ceremony is tax deductible since the price is considered a donation! Score!) So I'm pretty much ecstatic. And with the reception, I was willing to go no frills to make up for the cost of the ceremony, which seemed like a good compromise. But when we went to see the room that EVERYONE in town uses, the reality started to set in for how much we really were settling with the reception room. The alpine green decorated carpet had stains that have probally been there for twenty years along with nice cut-outs of a very stained off white that I guess were carpet patch jobs. Tacky can only begin to describe that room. That popular wood paneling from the sixties, smudged beige wallpaper. Yuck.
So, I suggested we check out another popular reception just down the street. And now Rick likes it, I like, it makes a world of difference for a little bit more...our moto is becoming "just do it, right."
You're only supposed to get married once, if you're lucky. So why not not regret it. I don't want to attend someone else's wedding in a few years and go, "geez, we shouldn't have scrimped and had such a cheesy reception" or "we just should've sucked it up and paid for..." I just don't want any regrets. Life can be full of them as it is.

1 comment:

  1. keeping sight of what you want, rather than what everyone else wants to sell you is probably your best tool to a successful event!

    Try not to get sucked into all the extras that aren't you guys and make it really personal, and if that means spending a little more, it'll just make it all that more special. yeah?

    So many people get hooked into the "you HAVE to have this, no matter what the cost", but really, it's just not them.

    For what it's worth, i say spend, don't scrimp on the really important things (to you), and cut costs (or cut out whole bits!) on the things that make you go "meh"...

    for example, I made my own wedding invites and place cards, ditched flower arrangements for the tables and used simple white pillar candles instead, and did away with order of service booklets and bonbonniere (sp?). I had an elegant silver service reception that didn't break the bank.

    ReplyDelete