So I'm going for a different kind of post today. I like peeping on people's blogs that show a little into their life too. So, in paying homage to those...here's my kitchen!
This room is my pride and joy. When Rick first bought this house, the kitchen was a visual disaster. '60s green and white, particle board counter tops in grey, cabinets had cut out swirls for trim. Utterly disgusting. This is what I envisioned, and this was what I got. I grew up in L.A. where all the old apartments have cool tile counter tops. I raided many books, went to some Bungalow restoration groups and found a somewhat secret unknown spot that sells real, unused, old tile from back in the day. Boxes and boxes of the most amazing and gorgeous stuff that I had never seen before. More amazing than I had ever imagined. I knew I wanted yellow walls, but hadn't really planned on yellow tile.
I went in with an open mind, and fell in love with the yellow. Rick chose the "fish" tile which is that thin colorful strip that slightly resembles...fish. I had chose a simple black and beige fish, the contrast really popped, but Rick saw these and liked them. It worked for the better since that slight amount of turquoise helped me to decide on the slate floor tiles, which I had also envisioned a must. Rick's cousin sets tile for a living and we were lucky enough to have him help us out on the counters, backsplash and the floors. Rick also built the whole cabinet that holds the sink, drawers EVERYTHING! This room was completely gutted. We did everything with the help of family and friends. Rick's best friend skim coated the drywall that we put up ourselves, etc. The hardware is all from Restoration Hardware, I've heard that they stopped selling it, which really bums me out since I just told Rick the kitchen might need another cabinet after all.
I love this Mexican Lady Jar. It was a total fluke that I found a new cheap version, but I knew that I wanted my kitchen to resemble a '40s/'50s kitchen as closely as possible. This jar is probally one of my most beloved pieces because it just really goes with my theme perfectly. The FiestaWare was already owned, and already going to be a major factor regardless.
I've done my best to have my kitchen as closely resemble what an old kitchen would have looked like in this house in the WWII-era up into the '50s. I love it even if people think it doesn't look authentic. My mom made the black gingham curtains, and I pinned the black bric brac to them because I thought tey just needed that little bit extra. The only problem is that my sewing skills are mediocre and I can't even thread my bobbin after reading the directions! One of the curtains is missing the bric brac too because I started this while the baby napped and never completed it! It's been like, six months! The horror.
Those tri-colored canisters are FiestaWare (big shock right?) and are the latest addition. I splurged, knowing the kitchen NEEDED them, not wanted them. I have no idea what I will put in them. The Cuisinart was a pricier appliance we got on sale, and therefore deserves to be displayed. And I'll admit the toaster look awful, but will hopefully be replaced once I have a bridal shower. Along with that I will need to do some moving around, because I really want one of these too! It's all about color in my kitchen!
Who needs to show a picture of their trash can? Me! I love it! It matches the trim around the windows and doorways! Simple Human has some great colors, though I couldn't find them on their website!
There are still added touches that need to be done. Slowly. My mom brought me this back from her trip to Sweden. Just needs a frame.
I love my kitchen, I hope you do too!
*more pics to come!*

oh, I do so love your kitchen - what a great reno'!
ReplyDeletesorry to hear you've given up on RR, but can quite see your point, what with the little one to run around with etc.
I have no doubt you'll return to that one when time permits, tho' - it's now become a challenge ;)
*blush*
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! Comments like yours make the whole renovation stress seem worth it. I picked up RR last night, I'll post a pic later.
wow, you've done an amazing job!
ReplyDelete*giggles* are you planning to theme yor entire place this way or just leave it to the kitchen?
My house was built in 1917 and luckily, most of the
ReplyDeleteoriginal doors and knobs were intact. The rest of the
house looks older than the kitchen, but has a bit of
the flair I've got going in the kitchen. I'll be
showing pictures of the rest of the house as time goes
on. Or well, when the house looks clean enough :)
Thanks for the interest!
I've tried replying to your comments via email reply, but for some errors keep occuring. Sorry!