On Saturday Rick, Seamus and I went down to our local pound and adopted a gorgeous 8 month old blue pit bull. I can feel some of you cringing, and I totally get it. My mom hates pits, and tried to raise me to do the same. Rick had a pit when I met him, the sweetest girl ever, named Roxy. She used to sleep with a towel across her back that they called her blankie. She never bit anyone and Rick's niece was around it from birth and used to poke it in the eye and tug on her tail, and Roxy never even growled at her. Yes, I know that every dog is different, but I'm just trying to explain that there are good ones out there. You can tell within seconds what kind of pit they are. And the little girl we adopted is a sweetie. I was cautious about introducing her to Seamus when Rick took her to the play area, but she was very mellow, and Seamus walked right up to her and handed her a rope toy. He loves playing catch with the dogs we already have, and he really like this one. That right there was what sealed the deal for us.
She had been surrendered the night before by a family that was in the military and were moving. They took her and her brother pit to the local dog park, and she's even potty-trained. I think we hit the jack pot, and I feel really good about it. So, I hope that you guys can be too. We're excited about bringing her home today from the animal birth control clinic. Of course, if something changes in her temperament, then she will most likely be going back to a rescue. We have a large back yard with good fencing, and have side areas fenced off to for keeping her while Seamus is playing in his back yard, but if all goes well she won't need to be seperated. Wish us luck! I'll upload a picture of her once we bring her home.
And we'll probably be naming her Alabama, like in True Romance. I've just always dug the name, but wouldn't name a kid that. Rick rolled his eyes when I told him the dog would be named after a bad ass hooker.
FOUR THINGS RIGHT NOW: SUNDAY LUXURY
6 years ago

Yay!!! I have a rottweiler and she is the sweetest dog ever.Wouldn't hurt a fly.... actually thats a lie she loves to eat bugs... It makes me mad that people are scared of her while their little dog is going ape shit barking and nipping at her... but "its okay because they are little" really I think any dog that is trained correctly should be given a chance. Pits and rots have bad raps because Idiots try to make them mean. but really I have seen some mean ass chiahuahuas in my day. I am so excited to see the pics I love blue pits....
ReplyDeleteevery dog deserves to be judged on it's own merit, and it sounds like you've totally got your heads screwed on when it comes to the whole baby/dog dynamic, so good luck!
ReplyDeleteand welcome, Alabama, True Romance is one of my favourite movies - I love that voice over and beautiful musical backdrop that Patricia Arquette does throughout the movie. Great name for a kiss ass girl-dog :)
hee hee, I meant to say "kick-ass" dog, but "kiss-ass" sorta fits too !
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your puppy! Love the name.
ReplyDeleteTrue Romance is my hubs favorite movie ever besides Fear and Loathing, and I love love love the name Alabama...congrats on the new doggy! I have a chow mix and he's a handful...training and socialization are key!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the new addition. I think pits can be very sweet, especially pit mixes. I hope the transition continues to go well.
ReplyDelete